Saturday 21 October 2017

EBike

This is a project for my Father.

My Dad is 82 years young, he's way fitter than I ever was or ever will be, he gets upset if he doesn't do 100 miles each week on his bicycle, he did Lands End to John O'Groats solo in his 70th year.
When he was young, he used to to do bicycle road racing with a cycle club in Manchester, it's where he met my mother. During that time he had a bicycle built especially for him. That bicycle is now 66 years old, still his favourite, but he's losing feeling in his feet and legs and can no longer ride his favourite bike.

So, see here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2191603
I'm planning on re-creating this attached to his bike.
Costing a fortune (relative to my usual projects), lots of power, dangerous enough to take off fingers.
We don't really need the speed and a pure Ebike as such, what we would like is a system that will give him a bit of a boost only when needed, or take him home if he bites off more than he can chew.
Ok, so I'm playing it by ear really as usual....

I've bought all the parts, got some, awaiting others, soon I'll be able to start putting it together.
Spent £360, that might be the total.
Motor, battery, VESC board (with spllied capacitors and connectors).

Drive pinion and belt coming from Ebay.
10 AWG and 12 AWG wires and connectors ordered from Ebay. 
Most VESC components ordered from Mouser, rest from Farnell.
Saddle bag and thumb throttle ordered from Banggood.



No comments:

Post a Comment