Wednesday 18 October 2017

My 3D Printer

I finished building my printer in July 2012 (making it 5 years old now), it looks like this:
It's a Metric Mendel Prusa with LM8UU bearings, build details here:
I bought the plastic printed parts off EBay for around £65 and built the rest myself, total cost around £250. 
Controller is an Arduino ATMega 2560 with RAMPS 1.3 driver board. I bought the RAMPS PCB and loaded it myself including POLULU driver modules.
Currently running Marlin 1.0.2+ firmware.
It's a standard MK2 PCB based heated bed with Pyrex glass. The bed is still mounted on 3 off LM8UU bearings (original design, not the one shown in RepRap Wiki).
The cold end is a slightly modified Wade Extruder, hobbed bolt made by me.
The hot end is old style:
M6 steel bolt modified in old pillar drill, filed off threads at business end, centre drilled with 3 mm drill to as close to end as possible, centre drilled 0.5 mm. 16 mm diameter PEEK insulator with PTFE sleeve. PEEK is tapped to take M6 steel end. M6 steel end screwed into PEEK. Kapton tape used for electrical insulation of steel hot end, thermister, thermister wires, Nichrome heater wire. Nichrome wire is covered in kapton tape, then wound around M6 hot end. Finally fibre glass strand is wrapped around assembly to keep heat in and final layer of kapton tape added.
It works, I think it's fast enough and accurate enough for my use, but you can judge for yourself (see shortly).

I use OpenSCAD (currently version 2015.03-2) for design, producing .stl files, Slic3r (currently Version 1.2.9) for slicing to .GCODE, Pronterface (Printrun 2014.03.10) to control printer over USB serial running at 250,000 baud.

On Thingyverse, I am TrevM, see:
All designs have been done by me in OpenSCAD, printed by me on this printer and all designs include photographs. You can use the photos to decide on the output quality of my printer for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment